FAIRFAX, Va. — Police officers from the Fairfax County Police Department are investigating following a crash that left 40-year-old pedestrian, Elise Ballard dead.
Officials said the incident occurred minutes before 10 p.m. in the 5600 block of Leesburg Pike near Carlin Spring Road outside the crosswalk. The driver of the car was traveling westbound on Leesburg Pike in their 2017 Infiniti QX60 when they hit Ballard.
Police said Ballard was pronounced dead on the scene. Westbound lanes on Leesburg Pike were closed for the crash investigation. All lanes have reopened as of Thursday morning.
Officials have not released any additional information about this case. This is an ongoing investigation and WUSA9 will provide more information as it becomes available.
WATCH NEXT: Man critically injured in DC hit-and-run crash
Read more from WUSA9:
- Woman critically injured, dog dead when driver hit her while on a walk in Fairfax
- Police investigate Montgomery Co. hit-and-run, 19-year-old sent to hospital
- Hit-and-run crash leaves 1 dead in Prince George's Co.
- Man dies after being hit by car in Prince George's Co.
- Police investigate fatal motorcycle crash in Fairfax Co.
- 18-year-old accused of sexual assault at LA Fitness in Montgomery Co.
- 'My son died a hero' | mother of one of the victims shot and killed inside a Dale City home speaks out