MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Md. — Montgomery County Police Department announced that an arrest has been made in connection to a shooting Friday night in Wheaton that left a 17-year-old boy dead.
MCPD said in a statement that Cardel Chaney, 20, of Silver Spring was arrested and taken to the Central Processing Unit, facing second degree murder charges.
Officers were called to the area of Georgia Avenue and Reedie Drive after 6:45 p.m. Friday night for a reported shooting.
When officers arrived they found a 17-year-old boy suffering from a gunshot wound. The boy—identified by MCPD as Devin Dickey of Silver Spring—died from his injuries after he was taken to the hospital.
Police say they interviewed people who witnessed the shooting. Based on the descriptions of the shooter offered by witnesses, officers located Chaney inside the Wheaton Metro Station.
MCPD says it worked with Metro Transit Police Department to view surveillance footage and recover "items of evidentiary value in the metro station that connected Chaney to Dickey’s death."
Chaney is being held without bond, police say.
- Police: Man shot, killed walking in DC with 2 children
- Police make arrest in connection to fatal shooting of Lyft driver
- Police: Alexandria man killed in DC
- Two arrested for DC shooting that killed Memphis Rapper CEO Bezzal in 2020, police say
- Shots fired during robbery of Lorton pizza shop
- Fourth man pleads guilty to shooting that killed 11-year-old Davon McNeal
- Police still searching for suspects in murder of Virginia mother 8 years later
- 'I lift up my shirt and it was blood rushing out' | 12-year-old girl shot while waiting on food wants gunman caught
WUSA9 is now on Roku and Amazon Fire TVs. Download the apps today for live newscasts and video on demand.