Breaking News
More () »

'My wife is gone' | Husband mourns wife mauled to death by pit bull in DC

Rob Frazier said he left his house for 15 minutes. When he came back, he found his wife dead. They have been together for 20 years and were entering their second year of marriage.

WASHINGTON -- A husband is mourning the loss of his beloved wife after she was mauled to death by their pit bull Sunday evening inside their D.C. row home.

Around 6:30 p.m. Sunday, police were dispatched to Rob Frazier and Angela Smith's Southeast D.C. home located in the 1300 block of Dexter Terrace for a report of a woman mauled by a dog. Police said the animal is a pit bull. His name is Kaine.

When officers arrived to the scene, they found a woman suffering from multiple trauma wounds to her body.

RELATED: Woman dead after pit bull mauling in SE

WUSA9 caught up with Frazier as he walked out of his gray, brick front home with a red door. As he stood behind a metal fence, he told reporters he exited the home for a short period of time and returned to find his wife dead.

"I left out the house," Frazier paused as he gasped for air, held back tears and started banging on a trash can. "I just left out the house. It was 15 minutes and I came back," he paused and starting banging on the trash can again and said, "She was dead."

He said he spent the last twenty years of his life with her. The couple was on their second year of marriage.

"I got tired of her being a girlfriend or a friend. I wanted her to be a lover, my permanent love," Frazier said as he fought back tears.

"A lot of people didn't know her heart," Frazier said.

Frazier said Smith and the pit bull were "buddies" and he isn't quite sure why the dog attacked her.

"I'm thinking she might have taken some food or something like that from him and he's real aggressive like that, right? Maybe, just maybe, he reacted like that. That's what I'm hoping," said Frazier.

Through his own investigation, Frazier said some things are not adding up, but that he'd rather not speak about alternative scenarios.

His mom was also in the house during the attack, but she said she was sleeping and did not hear anything.

Frazier received the pit bull as a puppy from his nephew. He was 8 years old. Police removed the dog Sunday night after the attack and he was later euthanized.

No additional information has been released at this time.

Before You Leave, Check This Out