BOWIE, Md. — A pair of tornados were reported in Maryland Tuesday as severe weather swept through the area.
The National Weather Service confirmed the first tornado in Bowie, Maryland. Later, a second tornado was confirmed in the Shady Side area of Anne Arundel County.
The NWS has not yet confirmed the strength of either tornado. Officials surveyed the damage on Tuesday. More information is expected to be released on Wednesday.
First responders also responded to downed trees and damaged homes. Power lines were knocked down in strong winds, causing power outages for residents across the DMV Tuesday.
Another round of storms is expected Wednesday, but the WUSA9 weather team says they will be isolated. That being said, where storms develop, they will once again have to be monitored for strong wind, heavy rain and hail.
A spokesperson from Prince George's County Fire Department says crews were dealing with a lot of calls for fallen trees and downed power lines near Buckingham Drive as well as on Stonybrook Drive.
A tree in Mike Bishop's front yard was knocked down by strong winds.
"It happened so quick. You had no time to cover," he said.
It is important to know how to prepare and stay safe during severe weather. There are several ways you can make sure you are ready:
- High winds regularly down trees and heavy branches in the DMV region, so avoid standing or walking under tree canopies.
- Be supplied: Have medical equipment, medical supplies or any critical medications on hand and enough for 5-7 days.
- Figure out how and where everyone will meet up with each other if you get separated.
- Sign up for text alerts/weather warnings that may be offered by your locality.
- Secure garbage cans, lawn furniture or anything that could cause damage.
As of Wednesday morning, BGE is reporting 108 customers without power in the area of Bowie hardest hit by Tuesday's weather.
A power outage can be caused by a myriad of things but it is important to be as prepared as you possibly can, especially during severe weather. Extended power outages can impact everyone from a home to an entire community. It can cause issues with communication, prevent the use of medical devices, impact access to water and cause food to spoil while grocery stores may be closed.
Dominion Energy says residents should not connect any portable generators to a home's electrical system. Under no circumstances should you ever bring a generator into your home in order to create heat. Odorless and colorless carbon monoxide gas from gas-fueled heaters and generators can build up, resulting in injuries or even death.