WASHINGTON — We're well into the summer season and there's a long list of events this week to help you celebrate. Check out everything from new cultures to foods and experiences this weekend, not too far from home!
Every week, WUSA9 is giving you the details on at least nine local activities to check out in your off time. We'll give you three ideas (and, sometimes, a bonus item or two) every week each in D.C., Maryland and Virginia and it's up to you to decide what you'll head out to! Have any more events you think your neighbors should know about? Email the time, place and description to email@example.com.
- Saturday, July 16 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- 400 Pennsylvania Avenue Northwest, Washington, DC 20001
- Admission: Free
We're back in the middle of summertime, and that means the signature National Asian Heritage Festival is back!
"In our 17th year, Fiesta Asia Street Fair is the longest running, most inclusive & the largest FREE Pan-Asian Festival in the Washington DC Metropolitan area," organizers advertise. They go on to share that visitors will find more than 1,000 performers, artisans, food vendors and more representing more than 20 cultures.
"It is truly an amalgamation of the diverse Asian cultures and heritage!"
- Recurring; Friday, July 15 from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. and Saturday, July 16 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Selina Washington DC, 411 New York Avenue Northeast, Washington, DC 20002
- Admission: Starting at $25.00
If the week's been stressful and you're looking to get your creative juices flowing, go ahead and sign up to paint and chill with a couple of your favorite people.
Organizers call the event a night of flavor, fun and artistic excitement in a painter's paradise.
"Do something different and do it alone or with your loved ones. Come enjoy freestyle painting & all sorts of aspects of painting . . . Escape with us, take a deep breath and enjoy the ride. Let's Paint Amore!"
- Recurring; Saturday, July 18 from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Copacabana Catering & Cafe, 2434 18th Street Northwest, Washington, DC 20009
- Admission: $7
It's always a good week if it ends with a lot of laughs. Adams Morgan has you covered with this Saturday comedy night - a perfect date night or kickback with friends.
"Come see a couple of DC's best comics every week, plus some newer up-and-coming comedians," organizers share, highlighting the event's location; "CopaCabana is such a cool, intimate, and vibey setting, its impossible to not have a great time!"
- Sunday, July 17 from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- 14th & K St NW, Washington DC nearby Metro stop: McPherson Square
- Admission: Free
This cool event is headed to the District - a detour from its original home in Los Angeles! Black on the Block DC features more than 100 Black-owned businesses and creatives all evening in Downtown D.C.
RELATED: CHECK OUT ANCIENT EGYPT WITHOUT LEAVING THE DISTRICT! ‘A time-traveling journey' | Immersive King Tut exhibit coming to National Geographic Museum
- Sunday, July 17th from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Congressional Polo Club 14660 Hughes Road Poolesville, MD 20837
- Admission: Starting at $25, kids free under 16
Your Sunday Funday is waiting! This unique event spotlights beautiful horses, talented players and the interesting game of polo, put on annually by the DC Polo Society. Spectators will enjoy a selection of beer, seltzer, food trucks and yard games.
Plus, dogs are welcome so long as their on a leash. Treat your pup to something special!
Enjoy summer and celebrate the waterfronts that make the season magical at the Silver Spring oyster fest. All are welcome and additional food, drink and other sweet treats will be available for purchase after you've grown tired of the seafood snacks (if that's even possible).
- Saturday, July 16 from 12 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- 797 E. Patrick Street. Frederick, MD, 21701
- Admission: General $38.99, Advanced $29.99, Senior $25.00, Military $25.00, Student $15.00, kids 12 and under free
If you prefer your bites to roam the land, this Frederick festival has you in mind. Check out some flavors of the Caribbean and listen to music this weekend at the Wine, Jerk and Curry Festival.
Visitors can check out a cool pop-rock group at the beautiful National Landing in Arlington this weekend. The Friday summer concert series brings live music and food trucks right to Long Bridge Park.
- Saturday, July 16 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- The Conche, 1605 Village Market Boulevard Southeast, Leesburg, VA 20175
- Admission: $75
"Come and join Pastry Master Rene Olmeda in this 2.5-hour class where guests will learn the secrets to making the perfect French Macaron," organizers shared of this creative event.
"We will show the French method and each guest will work through the steps of creating the batter, to piping and finally assembling these tasty confections. By the end of this class guests will have the fundamentals of macarons down to a science, and take home their beautiful creations."
- Sat, Jul 16 from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Fredericksburg Expo & Conference Center, 2371 Carl D. Silver Pkwy, Fredericksburg, VA 22401
- Admission: Starting at$10, free for kids under 10
If you're in the mood to enjoy classics and perhaps break out your favorite cosplay costume, this comic and toy show will be live in Fredericksburg. The pop culture event will feature all kinds of comic book dealers, cosplayers, crafters, and artists.