Breaking News
More () »

Washington, DC's Leading Local News: Weather, Traffic, Sports and more | Washington, DC | WUSA9.com

'Number 35 chose not to call 911' | Family of 21-year-old driven to hospital by Redskins player demands answers

Julia Crabbe was pronounced dead from an apparent overdose after Redskins safety Montae Nicholson drove her to the hospital. Her family showed up to Sunday's game.

PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY, Md. — It’s been ten days since 21-year-old Julia Crabbe died from an apparent drug overdose.

On Sunday, the Crabbe family took their push to find answers to FedEx Field, wearing shirts that said "#35nevercalled911" and "#JusticeforJulia."

"It's been rough. It's been really rough,” Shirley Kirkland said.

Kirkland said Crabbe was her niece.

"There were people there, someone could have called 911," Kirkland said."Number 35 chose not to call 911."

Number 35 is Redksins safety Montae Nicholson.

A source told WUSA9 that Nicholson was one of the men who took Crabbe to the hospital following the incident.

RELATED: 'Montae never left her alone' | Second man comes forward following investigation of Redskins safety Montae Nicholson

Nicholson waited an hour for Crabbe’s family to arrive and remained in the waiting room until later that morning, according to the source.

Crabbe was later pronounced dead from an apparent overdose.

Officials with LCSO said they are still investigating what happened and are waiting on a toxicology report, which they said could take a few weeks.

RELATED: Redskins safety Montae Nicholson is cooperating with investigation of woman's death

Crabbe’s family said they think it’s "tone-deaf" of the Redskins to continue to let him play.

"That young man, in my opinion, should not be on the field,” Kirkland said. "This is an open investigation and they should do what normal employers do, they put you on administrative leave with pay pending the outcome. What's the difference here? It's like a slap in the face."

Nicholson spoke for the first time about the incident earlier this week and acknowledged that it’s been hard to separate the game from what’s been going on off the field.

"I would like to make it known that this week has been extremely hard on not only myself but Julia's friends and family as well," Nicholson told reporters. "I would appreciate If you all would respect my privacy with everything is going on."

The Redskins previously released a statement regarding the event:

"We’ve been made aware of the tragic event and extend our deepest sympathies to the family who lost a loved one. Our team has alerted the league office and is cooperating with local authorities. We fully support law enforcement and respect their process as they investigate the matter."

RELATED: Safety Montae Nicholson's season is over with the Redskins after arrest, video of altercation

Download the brand new WUSA9 app here.

Sign up for the Get Up DC newsletter: Your forecast. Your commute. Your news.