Are ice treatments and salt dangerous for your pets?
Yes. Wipe their paws off immediately inside.
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
Pet Poison Helpline
Boston Animal Hospital
Puppies bounding in snow, frozen kitten whiskers--pets are the perfect snow angels.
But salt on slick steps and icy sidewalks can spell 'danger' for animals.
The ice melting crystals can get caught in their paws causing little cuts and irritations.
The chloride based products can also dry out their paws and cause cracks. When your pet comes back in, wipe off their skin, or use a little petroleum jelly on their paws before they go out to create a protective barrier, The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals says.
If your pet eats the ice melt, or ingests too much from licking their paws, the Pet Poison Helpline says that can cause anything from stomach problems to neurological issues.
Experts say look out for signs your pet has an upset stomach, is drooling, has body or muscle weakness, or seems to need to go outside more often than usual. Those could be signs your pet needs to go to the vet.