RICHMOND, Va. — Governor Northam, alongside other legislators, has a plan to advance certain measures in the statehouse as lawmakers convened for the first day of the 2020 General Assembly session.
These measures are all a part of an 11-point Virginia 2020 Plan that the governor wants to put at the forefront of the session for lawmakers to focus on and work to pass.
A few legislators, including Senator Mamie Locke who represents parts of Hampton Roads, announced the plan that includes advancing the proposals below:
- Pass the Equal Rights Amendment.
- Restore women's reproductive rights.
- Expand affordable housing.
- Ban discrimination in housing and employment.
- Raise the minimum wage.
- Make voting easier.
- Reform criminal justice.
- Advance common-sense gun safety measures.
- Fight climate change, protect natural resources.
- Increase education funding.
- Expand transit and broadband.
You can read more about those proposals here.
You can view the full 2020 State of the Commonwealth address below: