Breaking News
More () »

Police pursue stolen vehicle for several hours Sunday morning, resulting in arrests

The pursuit crossed Virginia, D.C. and Maryland lines, according to a Prince George's County Police Department official.

ARLINGTON, Va. — Multiple agencies were in pursuit of a carjacked vehicle spanning from Arlington, Virginia, through D.C. and into Prince George's County. Maryland, Sunday, according to the Prince George's County Police Department's Corporal Erik Marsh.

The carjackings started overnight Sunday in the 800 block of North Glebe Road in Arlington.

Ashley Savage, a spokesperson for Arlington Police Department (APD), said in an email to WUSA9 that at around 1 a.m., officers were called to North Glebe Road for a report of a robbery. Investigators determined that 10 minutes before officers arrived, a driver was inside a parked vehicle when three “unknown suspects approached.”

“The suspects opened the vehicle’s doors, struck the suspect and stole his wallet and credit cards,” Savage wrote.

Police say after taking the vehicle, it became immobilized forcing the group to run away.

Minutes later – at 1:03 a.m. – just a few blocks away, police say the group then targeted another car – this time taking off with it. Officers were dispatched to the scene at North Vermont Street and North Tazewell Street for reports of a stolen vehicle.

When officers arrived, they “determined that the two victims were inside their parked vehicle when the three suspects approached, opened the driver’s door and demanded the victims exit.”

Hours passed as police searched for the vehicle when officers from Virginia State Police spotted it around 4 a.m. on I-395 in Fairfax County.

A chase began, and APD officers joined the pursuit. According to Savage, the driver of the vehicle ignored the commands to stop driving.

In scanner audio obtained by WUSA9, one officer describes the stolen white vehicle reaching speeds of around 130 mph before it drove into Washington, D.C.

Later in the morning, police found the vehicle in Prince George's County with a group of people inside.

A D.C. helicopter followed the carjacked vehicle and assisted in the apprehension of the group.

The pursuit ended at the intersection of Pennsylvania Avenue and Southern Avenue Southeast around 10:45 a.m. according to Marsh.

Police say no one suffered any injuries in the crimes or chase and the group of people got taken into custody. It is unclear how many people were arrested.

WUSA9 is now on Roku and Amazon Fire TVs. Download the apps today for live newscasts and video on demand.

Download the WUSA9 app to get breaking news, weather and important stories at your fingertips.

Sign up for the Get Up DC newsletter: Your forecast. Your commute. Your news.
Sign up for the Capitol Breach email newsletter, delivering the latest breaking news and a roundup of the investigation into the Capitol Riots on January 6, 2021.

RELATED: Two men and two teens shot near Nationals Park Saturday, police say

RELATED: Good Samaritans pull driver, passenger away from burning car on Capitol Hill

Before You Leave, Check This Out