Washington, DC's Leading Local News: Weather, Traffic, Sports and more | Washington, DC | WUSA9.com

Victim dies after fatal Thanksgiving shooting in Springfield

Police have identified the victim as 30-year-old Ever Deras-Borjas of Springfield.

FAIRFAX COUNTY, Va. — A 30-year-old man has died after being shot in Springfield, Virginia on Thanksgiving afternoon, according to police.

Police said the 30-year-old male victim was taken to a local hospital after being shot in the 6100 block of Dinwiddie Street in Springfield, Virginia Thursday afternoon.

The preliminary suspect is a Hispanic teen, who's 5-foot-7 and wearing a white jacket and dark pants. Fairfax Police say that they believe the suspect and the victim knew each other.

On Thursday evening, Fairfax Police confirmed the identity of the victim as 30-year-old Ever Deras-Borjas of Springfield. Authorities said that when they were called to the scene, they found Deras-Borjas suffering from upper body trauma and gave him first aid before taking him to a nearby hospital. Police said that it was at the nearby hospital where Deras-Borjas succumbed to his injuries.

The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner will conduct an autopsy to determine the cause and manner of death, according to police.

Fairfax Police asked residents to avoid the area earlier in the day, as authorities were still investigating the scene.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

On Nov. 22, a violence interrupter was shot and killed in the District. Police said it happened in the 3200 block of Dubois Place, SE.

D.C. Attorney General Karl Racine said it happened as the man was leaving a violence interrupter training session.

“Yesterday was a training session for a new group of interrupters as well as community folks and at that training, or after the training, one of the trainees was shot and was killed," Racine said.

The victim has been identified as 40-year-old Clarence Venable of Southeast, DC.

Upon arrival, police said officers located an adult male suffering from gunshot wounds. DC Fire & EMS officials transported the victim to a nearby hospital where he later died from his injuries.

Racine said it's a dangerous job, but it's absolutely necessary. 

"Obviously incredibly tragic, our hearts go out to his family and obviously the team is also quite devastated," Racine said. "Nonetheless we clearly have unanimity around the commitment to do even more in terms of violence interruption. We’ve got to find a way to reduce the violence in the District of Columbia and we believe violence interruptions part of the solution."

Download the brand new WUSA9 app here.

Sign up for the Get Up DC newsletter: Your forecast. Your commute. Your news.