SILVER SPRING, Md. (WUSA9) — Two cats died in a house fire early Tuesday morning in Silver Spring, Maryland, fire officials said.

Around 5:45 a.m., a small fire was reported in the upstairs bedroom of a home located in the 500 block of Mississippi Avenue.

The elderly woman resident was able to get out on her own. She was evaluated at the scene and refused to be transported.

Officials said the fire appears to have been started by a space heater and there were no working smoke alarms inside the home.

The resident has not been identified.

No additional information has been released at this time.