Breaking News
More () »

Police: Pallbearer shot to death by man in charge of funeral for 10-year-old shooting victim

Wilson Chavis was preparing for the funeral of a 10-year-old girl killed on Mother's Day when he fatally shot a man who was a pallbearer at her funeral.

PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY, Md. — The owner of a funeral service company that was providing burial services for the family of a 10-year-old homicide victim from D.C. is now facing charges for shooting two people, killing one, at a Hillcrest Heights cemetery.

According to the Prince George's County Police Department's Homicide Unit, 48-year-old Wilson Chavis has been charged with first and second-degree murder, attempted first and second-degree murder, and related charges.

Officers were called to the Washington National Cemetery on Suitland Road shortly before 1:30 p.m. Monday for a reported shooting. When police arrived, they found a man and a woman had been injured.

Both victims were taken to area hospitals where the man, later identified as 30-year-old Ronald Steven Banks, died from his injuries a short time later. The woman was treated for a graze wound. 

Banks was reportedly a pallbearer at the funeral of Arianna Davis when he was killed. 

Investigators claim Chavis was preparing for the funeral when he confronted two people at the service who are affiliated with another funeral company. There appears to be a history of long-standing business disputes between Chavis and the other company, according to police. 

According to court documents, a verbal and physical argument began but ended when it became apparent the circumstances were inappropriate. A short time later, Chavis began directing the pallbearers, including Banks, on carrying the casket to the grave site. 

Court documents allege that upon arriving at the grave site, Chavis looked at the pastor leading the service and said "I'm here for all you b---- a-- n------." The pastor reportedly didn't respond and focused on the mourners, and that is when Chavis allegedly pushed him and said "This ain't your f------ funeral home." 

People attending the funeral then stepped in, asking why Chavis was disrespecting the family. Chavis began to back up, tripped over a concrete vault lid and fell. 

Court documents allege that Chavis then took out a gun from his waistband and shot Banks. Officials say he fired a second shot as he stood, which grazed the woman. 

Following the shooting, Chavis reportedly drove away in his car and was taken into custody during a traffic stop a short time later. 

Chavis remains in the custody of the Department of Corrections.

WUSA9 is now on Roku and Amazon Fire TVs. Download the apps today for live newscasts and video on demand.

Download the WUSA9 app to get breaking news, weather and important stories at your fingertips.

Sign up for the Get Up DC newsletter: Your forecast. Your commute. Your news.
Sign up for the Capitol Breach email newsletter, delivering the latest breaking news and a roundup of the investigation into the Capitol Riots on January 6, 2021.

Before You Leave, Check This Out