MARYLAND, USA — Maryland, the seventh state, turned 385 years old Monday. Here are some fun facts about the state to commemorate the holiday.
- On March 25, 1634, the first European settlers, sailing on The Ark and The Dove, landed in the Province of Maryland.
- The settlers first stepped foot on Maryland soil at St. Clement's Island.
- Maryland is known for its expansive Chesapeake Bay waterfront.
- Maryland's Mount Clare Station was the first railroad station in the United States. It was built in Baltimore, Md. in 1830.
- Maryland was named after Queen Henrietta Maria (Queen Mary), the wife of King Charles I.