Breaking News
More () »

Fire burns down Gaithersburg home leaving 3 residents displaced

The residents woke up to a fire from the second floor of the bedroom and tried put out the fire themselves, but they soon realized it was too much to handle.
Credit: Pete Piringer, Montgomery County Fire and Rescue PIO

GAITHERSBURG, Md. — Three residents were displaced following a fire on the second floor of a home in Gaithersburg, Maryland, early Monday morning, officials said.

Firefighters with the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue were dispatched to a two-story house fire in the 18900 block of Glendower Road off Goshen Road around 3:30 a.m.

The residents woke up to a fire in the second-floor bedroom and tried to put out the fire themselves, but they soon realized it was too much for them to handle, officials said. The occupants left the home and called 911. 

Firefighters quickly arrived at the scene to find heavy fire coming from inside the house, according to MCFRS Public Information Office Pete Piringer. All occupants exited safely from the home, and no injuries were reported. 

Investigators determined the fire started from inside a wood-framed enclosure for a mental chimney pipe, officials said.

The estimated damage from the fire was $175,000.

Watch Next: DC Fire and EMS firefighters went above and beyond the call of duty, saving Brady, a black lab, stuck in a storm drain. 

WUSA9 is now on Roku and Amazon Fire TVs. Download the apps today for live newscasts and video on demand.

Download the WUSA9 app to get breaking news, weather and important stories at your fingertips.

Sign up for the Get Up DC newsletter: Your forecast. Your commute. Your news.
Sign up for the Capitol Breach email newsletter, delivering the latest breaking news and a roundup of the investigation into the Capitol Riots on January 6, 2021.

Before You Leave, Check This Out