WASHINGTON (WUSA9) -- A suspect is in custody after shots were fired at the U.S. Capitol Monday afternoon.

Capitol Police have identified the suspect as 66-year-old Larry Dawson of Antioch, Tennessee. He has been charged with assault with a deadly weapon and assault on a police officer while armed.

Around 2:40 p.m., Dawson allegedly walked into the Capitol visitor center, took out what appeared to be a weapon and pointed it at an officer screening visitors.

That's when an officer opened fire, hitting the suspect, Capitol police said.

Dawson was taken to an area hospital, where he underwent surgery. He is in stable but critical condition.

A 35 to 40-year-old female bystander suffered some minor injuries during the incident.

A weapon was recovered at the scene of the shooting incident, Capitol police say.

Dawson's vehicle was also located at the Capitol and will be searched once authorities obtain a warrant.

According to police, there is no reason to believe this is anything other than a criminal act.

Videos shared through social media captured the panic on Capitol Hill. Witnesses said all of a sudden there was a "scramble of people running and screaming."

MORE: Witnesses react to U.S. Capitol shooting

The Capitol building reopened for routine business Monday, but the visitor center remains closed because it is a crime scene. Normal operations are expected to resume at the visitor center on Tuesday morning.

The events unfolded with Congress on recess and lawmakers back in their districts, according to AP.

The Secret Service released the following statement:

Due to ongoing law enforcement activities at the U.S. Capitol Building, as a routine precautionary measure, the U. S. Secret Service temporarily closed the North and South fence lines of the White House Complex.

No Capitol police officers were injured during the incident.

CORRECTION: In an early version it was erroneously reported that an officer was shot, however, police said no officers were injured.