Breaking News
More () »

Four students taken to an area hospital after hazmat incident at a NE DC school

All four were then taken to an area hospital in stable condition.

WASHINGTON — Update: Officials now say that the students became ill after ingesting a substance, and there were no sewer gas of any other hazmat involved. Click here for the most up-to-date story.

Four students at McKinley Tech were taken to an area hospital on Monday after a hazmat incident.

According to DC Fire and EMS, four students fell ill from an undetermined odor. All four were then taken to an area hospital in stable condition. 

Further investigation revealed the source to be sewer gas, a.k.a. hydrogen sulfide. Officials say this colorless gas, known for its pungent "rotten egg" odor, is extremely flammable and highly toxic. Officials say because it is heavier than air, it can collect in low-lying and enclosed spaces. The health effects of hydrogen sulfide depend on how much someone breathes and for how long. Effects range from mild headaches or eye irritation to unconsciousness and even death. 

Members of DC Fire and EMS are working to clear the scene. 


WATCH NEXT: Weapon detectors installed at DuVal High School after student is shot and killed off campus

Police say Jayda-Medrano Moore, 16, was shot and killed a block from the school as she was walking home. Her father, Glendon Reid, told WUSA9 that his daughter was trying to appeal to a suspect with a gun to put it down when he shot her. 

WUSA9 is now on Roku and Amazon Fire TVs. Download the apps today for live newscasts and video on demand.

Download the WUSA9 app to get breaking news, weather and important stories at your fingertips.

Before You Leave, Check This Out