WASHINGTON (WUSA9) -- We have put together a check list of things to do for your trip abroad. We don’t claim it is everything you need to do, but it will get you started in the right direction.
- Check your passport. Is it valid for at least six months after you return from your trip? Some countries will not permit you to enter if your passport is within six months of expiration.
- Some countries require a visa. Be sure you have the necessary documents. In addition, some require your passport have two to four blank visa/stamp pages. If you don’t meet the country’s rules you may be denied access to the plane.
- Make copies of your passport, take one copy with you and leave others with family, friends, and/or your office.
- Also, make copies of your itinerary and how you can be contacted. All minors, regardless of age must have their own passport when traveling internationally by air. Requirements for land or sea travel may differ.
- What about money and credit cards?
Check which credit card offers the best deal when traveling abroad. Be sure to notify your credit card company you are going abroad.
- You may want to convert some money before you leave so you can pay for things when you arrive at your destination.
-Take some cash to pay tips, cab fare, etc. However, keep the amount small because the larger the sum, the greater your loss if you are the victim of a pickpocket.
-Take an extra pair of glasses.
- Prepare a list of all medications you take and keep a copy with you as well as leave one at your home or office, include name and phone numbers of your doctors.