ARLINGTON, Va. — An Arlington man has been arrested and charged after fatally striking a pedestrian with a car while under the influence.
Arlington County Police Department were dispatched for a report of crash that occurred just after 7:30 p.m. long the 2nd Street S at Old Glebe Road.
Officers say they found a woman, Viviana Oxlaj Lopez, 52, of Arlington, VA., on a roadway who had been unresponsive. Oxlaj was taken to a nearby hospital, where she later succumbed to her injuries and was pronounced dead.
Through an investigation, it was determined that the driver, 62-year-old Julio David Villazon of Arlington, Va., was heading on S. Old Glebe Road when he turned onto 2nd Street and struck Oxlaj, and fled the scene in his car.
While officers were investigating the crash, they developed a possible suspect through vehicle description from witness testimonies and evidence found on the scene.
The department said officers found Villazon at the 2500 4th Street and took him into custody without incident.
Police say Villazon's vehicle was located near the 8th Street S. and S. George Mason Drive.
The investigation into this crash is ongoing and remains an active criminal investigation.
- Police: 6 injured, 1 dead following shooting in Northeast DC
- Police: Man exposes himself in Walmart, possibly more victims
- 4 people facing federal charges for mail theft in Bethesda
- 3 shot on same SE corner where the death of a 6-year-old sparked demands for change
- Police: Man arrested for spraying four people with pepper spray in Arlington