Breaking News
More () »

PD: 2 people hospitalized after 'armed confrontation' with Fairfax County police officers

Fairfax County Police said that one officer suffered a minor injury and that the scene is now contained.

FALLS CHURCH, Va. — An "armed confrontation" between Fairfax County police officers and another person has sent two people to the hospital, Fairfax County police said, and a 61-year-old man has been arrested. 

According to the Fairfax County Police Department, at around 11 a.m., officers from the McLean District responded to a report of a person shot on the 2000 block of Peach Orchard Drive in Falls Church. 

Police said a teenager called, reporting that he had been shot in the face by a man who lived in the apartment. The teen told police that he was hiding in a bedroom, but his attacker was trying to break in, according to police. 

Once on the scene, Fairfax County police confirmed that an "armed confrontation" between the officers and an individual occurred. Negotiations with those inside the apartment took place, however, the suspect who reportedly fired shots inside the apartment was still armed and was actively trying to attack the victim again, police said.

Once officers were able to make immediate entry inside the apartment, police said the responding officers were faced with gunfire -- which lead to an exchange of shots between Fairfax County police and the suspect. 

"It was evident the victim’s life was in imminent danger," police said in a press release. "To preserve life, officers entered the home, and encountered a 61-year-old man from Falls Church, who was armed with a gun. Two officers discharged their weapons, striking the man in the upper body." 

The suspect and the victim were taken to a nearby hospital for treatment for their injuries. The victim, according to police, is expected to survive. Fairfax County Police said that one of the officers involved suffered a minor injury during the exchange is OK. 

Police confirmed late Thursday that the suspect was arrested and now in police custody.

The two officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave, per policy. They have been with the department for 18 and 20 years respectively. An investigation into the use of force has been opened, and according to police, the names of the officers involved will be released within 10 days. 

Download the brand new WUSA9 app here.

Sign up for the Get Up DC newsletter: Your forecast. Your commute. Your news.

Before You Leave, Check This Out