A brutal attack this summer inside a Fairfax County High School has left a 15-year-old boy with lifelong injuries.

Another 15-year-old boy, the alleged bully, is charged with malicious wounding, a felony. WUSA9 is not naming either boy because they are both juveniles.

A video taken by a student shows the second punch, the one which brought the boy to the ground. He was taken to a hospital where he had to undergo surgery for a broken jaw and chin. He had to have his mouth wired shut for three weeks. He still has metal in his mouth seven weeks after the attack.

His attorney Maken Shirafkan, said the attack could have been prevented.

"He was bullied and the school system did not do what was called to prevent it," Shirafkan said.

The incident happened on July 22, 2016, in J.E.B. Stuart High School. Both boys are from other high schools but were enrolled in summer school at Stuart. The victim, an immigrant from Iran, said the other boy bullied him from the start.

"He said, ‘it's going to be a problem if you look at me again.’ I said, ‘I'm not looking, I'm just thinking,’" the boy recalled.

He said the bullying escalated to a threat. He was sitting outside the classroom doing his work when the boy came by and asked him if he wanted to fight, he said. He told him he didn't want to.

That scared him, so he went to the office and told them about the threat. But what a staff member did, may have made things worse.

"She brought the kid out and talked to him. He came back staring at me," said the victim.

The next day, he was attacked. The bully came by outside the classroom where he was sitting again, and pointed at him, saying he was the reason the woman called him out. He told the boy to stand up, and threw a punch. The attacker paused, and punched again, harder, knocking the victim to the ground. The victim never even attempts to fight back.

He was taken to the hospital, where his parents met him and were shocked at the blood coming from his mouth.

Shirafkan said school staff should have separated the two boys, and alerted parents, or the school resource officer first, before calling the bully out in front of his peers.

"The school has two victims, that young man is now looking at a felony. And this young man is left with injuries he'll deal with the rest of his life," said Shirafkan.

A Fairfax County Schools spokesperson said they cannot discuss specific student disciplinary actions, but in addition to the criminal charge, fighting on school property can lead to suspension or reassignment to a different school or program.