Would you ever think about eating snakehead? The Maryland fish that infested many water bodies in the area is actually surprisingly delicious! The District Fishwife, a purveyor of sustainably-sourced seafood at Union Market, says that for the summer there's nothing fresher than a snakehead!
Pan Seared Snakehead
4 x 6 oz snakehead fillets (skin off)
1-2 tbs of grapeseed or canola oil (high smoke point)
• Pre-heat your oven to 300 degrees
• Using an ovenproof pan on the stove top, heat the oil over medium high heat, until shimmering.
• As the oil is coming to temperature season both sides of the fish with salt and fresh ground pepper.
• Place the fish in the pan, face down, 2-3 minutes to form a nice crust. Turn it over gently and cook for another 2-3 minutes on the stovetop.
• Place pan into oven.
• Depending on the thickness of the fillet it will take anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes to finish cooking through In the oven. Check a couple of times to ensure it doesn't overcook. Internal temperature of the thickest part of the fillet should be 140 degrees. Finish with another light pinch of salt and pepper and serve.
Mango salsa recipe
1 large just ripe mango, peeled and diced into 1/4 inch cubes (1 3/4 to 2 cups)
1/2 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/4 inch cubes (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 an English cucumber, seeded and cut into 1/4 inch cubes (about 1/2 cup)
1 small shallot, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
1 fresh jalapeno chili chopped finely (keep seeds for added heat, about 1/4 cup)
2-3 tablespoons lime juice (1-2 limes)
Zest of 1 lime
Roasted baby potatoes and cherry tomatoes
1 and 1/2 lbs baby potatoes (around an inch in diameter)
1 pint cherry tomatoes
3 sprigs rosemary
5 garlic cloves (smashed)
Salt and pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
• Preheat oven to 450 deg F
• Place all ingredients in a large bowl and toss well
• Spread over baking sheet and bake for 10 mins then remove from oven and shake the baking pan to rotate the mix. Bake another 10-15 mins until cooked through
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• In a large bowl stir lime juice and sugar until dissolved, add remaining ingredients, toss well and season to taste with salt and pepper
Want more recipes? Follow us on Twitter @GreatDayWash and watch every day at 9 A.M. on WUSA9!