Breaking News
More () »

Washington, DC's Leading Local News: Weather, Traffic, Sports and more | Washington, DC | WUSA9.com

Quick Questions: What can you do about the string of hackers attacking gas stations?

When was the last time you were seriously stumped by a question? Well, check out these questions that we answered.

WASHINGTON — With the holidays around the corner, we understand that for you, not all questions may be welcome. 

"When are you getting married?" "Are you still dating that person with the...?" I'm sure you get the idea.

Well, this is your safe space to get answers to questions that really need answering. So, here are three more right now!

Our first question comes from our Facebook page. Dan O'Brien wants to know:

"What can consumers do about the recent string of hackers attacking customers at gas stations?"

For those of you who aren't aware, Visa sent out a security alert about hackers who have targeted gas stations that do not have a chip reader at their pumps.

Apparently, hackers use malware on the magnetic strips at stations to access your credit information. So, here's how you can protect yourself:

  • Never use a debit card linked to your bank account.
  • Always use a chip-enabled card.
  • And if you can, sign up for fraud alerts from your bank and credit card company.

Our second question comes from D.C. Reddit user 'Frozen and shut.' They just moved into an apartment that shared a wall with a restaurant that turns into a nightclub. 

The noise is too much and now they're wondering if there's anything they can do to get out of the lease?

This is a great question! Often there's a 'Quiet enjoyment' clause in leases. So be sure to double-check yours to see if it is included.

If it's in there, you may have grounds to break your lease. If not, try calling D.C.'S  'Office of the Tenant Advocate'. D.C. is a very 'Tenant friendly' city.

And the best part, the service is free! The number is 202-719-6560.

Finally, on The Q-and-A we get a ton of questions regarding potholes and road repairs. Today's road hazard question de jour is: 

"Can you be reimbursed if your car is damaged due to a pothole in the area?"

Believe it or not, the answer is YES! Here's what you need to know in order to get reimbursed:

The jurisdiction needs to already know there is an issue on the road. So if your car is damaged by a pothole on your street, but no one has notified the proper transportation agency, you probably won't get any money. 

However, if there has been a report, and you can show proof of damage, you will be reimbursed. And that goes for Maryland too.

And those are three more of your questions answered. Do you have a question for us? Send them our way! We're on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Just be sure to use the hashtag, #TheQanA

Or email us at TheQandA@WUSA9.com.

RELATED: Quick Questions: What was the year's most searched question on the internet?

RELATED: DC public housing shake-up builds tension between agency and advocates

Download the brand new WUSA9 app here.

Sign up for the Get Up DC newsletter: Your forecast. Your commute. Your news.