Spices and herbs can play a significant role in improving one's health by helping to reduce sodium, calorie and fat intake while making healthy eating more appealing. According to Dr. Minni Malhotra, author of Spice for Life: “There are 5 delicious spices every American should add to their daily diet.”
Use these healthful spices for better living:
1) Turmeric - “golden paste” in almond milk — the wonder spice —Inflammation, cancer, reverse autoimmunity, joint pain, leaky gut
2) Cumin seeds - Inflammation, allergies, boosts immune system - sprinkled over yogurt
3) Garam Masala “magic blend” - blend of cloves, bay leaves, cardamon, cinnamon, black pepper — reduces blood sugar, anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer — marinate meats for barbecue
4) Fenugreek - seed - reduces blood sugar, great for diabetes on empty stomach — make it into a powder, blend it into smoothie
5) Fennel seeds — acid reflux, bloating, indigestion — chew fennel seeds after eating, ancient Indian tradition to improve digestion and give you fresher breath
Making the turmeric "golden paste" is very easy -- you can make it in advance and just add to your smoothie or almond milk for a nourishing beverage.
2 tbsp Turmeric
Water (add slowly/enough to make a paste)
2 tbsp Clarified Butter
1 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Make a thick paste of turmeric with water - a batter like consistency.
Heat Clarified Butter in a pan
Add the turmeric paste and saute for 2 minutes
Add freshly ground black pepper
Remove from heat and when cooled store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Add ¼-½ tsp to almond milk or your smoothie and enjoy.