Best-selling author and chef, Amy Riolo, shares her delicious and easy Crab-Filled Mushrooms recipe in honor of the Day of the Mushroom! This recipe is perfect for anyone who may be diabetic. This recipe is featured in her book, Quick Diabetic Recipes For Dummies.
- 20 large fresh mushroom caps
- 6 ounces canned crabmeat, rinsed, drained, and flaked
- ½ cup crushed whole-wheat crackers
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped pimiento
- 3 tablespoons extra-virginolive oil
- 10 tablespoons wheat germ
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Clean the mushrooms by dusting off any dirt on the cap with a mushroom brush or paper towel; remove the stems.
2. In a small mixing bowl, combine the crabmeat, crackers, parsley, onion, and pepper.
3. Place the mushroom caps in a 13-x-9-x-2-inch baking dish, crown side down. Stuff some of the crabmeat filling into each cap. Place a little pimiento on top of the filling.
4. Drizzle the olive oil over the caps and sprinkle each cap with ½ tablespoon wheat germ. Bake for 15–17 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter, and serve hot.
Chef tip: VARY IT! This is a very versatile filling you can also stuff into cherry tomatoes,
zucchini, or yellow squash “boats” (cut 2-inch pieces of squash
and scoop out the middles).
PER SERVING: Choices/Exchanges ½ Starch, 1 Fat; Calories 100 (from Fat 50);
Fat 6g (Saturated 0.9g, Trans 0.0g); Cholesterol 10mg; Sodium 95mg;
Potassium 280mg; Total Carbohydrate 8g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 2g);
Protein 5g; Phosphorus 160mg.