Since New England is known for its seafood Chef Terrell "Tee" Danley with The Salt & Pepper Chefs dishes on the best fish to grill and how to make the ultimate tailgate fish sandwich.
Prep time: 10 to 15 minutes; cooking time: about 20 minutes
- 4 mahi-mahi (4 ounces each) fillets (can substitute tuna, or salmon)
- Favorite grill rub to taste
- Salt to taste
- 4 hoagie buns, grilled
- 1-to-2 cups caramelized onions (recipe – Coat bottom of large sauté pan w/2 Tbsps. olive oil and / or butter; heat oil / butter mixture over medium heat; add 2 large onions, which have been cut into slices; coat slices w/oil; cook until onions are caramelized, stirring often, about 20 minutes.)
- Mayonnaise sauce (recipe below)
- Garnishes – lettuce, tomato slices, pre-cooked baby shrimp (optional)
- Season fish w/salt, rub; put fish on oiled grill rack over medium heat; cook 4-to-5 minutes per side (or until fish flakes).
- Spread 1-to 2-Tbsps. mayo sauce on 1 slice of bread.
- Assemble sandwich w/caramelized onions, garnishes; serve.
Chef Tee’s Mayonnaise Sauce
- ½ to 1 cup mayonnaise
- Zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- In small bowl, combine ingredients. Serve with fish sandwich.