WUSA 9 FIRST ALERT Weather Call is a 24/7 personal and personalized weather alert system.
In the middle of the night, on the weekend or when you are just out running around, if there is severe weather in your neighborhood WUSA 9's FIRST ALERT Chief Meteorologist Topper Shutt will call and tell you what to do. This is innovative and lifesaving new technology available only from WUSA 9's FIRST ALERT Weather Call.
How does WUSA 9's FIRST ALERT Weather Call work?
This state of the art technology uses your street address to determine if your home, office or child's school is inside a severe thunderstorm or tornado warning area. We monitor the National Weather Services' NOAA weather wire and then use computerized mapping to compare your specific location to the location of the warning. When a severe weather warning includes your location, you will receive a phone call from WUSA 9's FIRST ALERT Chief Meteorologist Topper Shutt, 24 hours a day. You can also receive the warning by email with a detailed map of the threat and/or by SMS text messaging.
Does it work EVERYWHERE and on EVERY PHONE?
WUSA 9's FIRST ALERT Weather Call works everywhere in Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia and the District of Columbia, as well as everywhere else in the United States and Puerto Rico. And it works on any type of phone. For iPhone or Android smart phones WUSA9's FIRST ALERT Weather Call to Go is also available. When you sign up, you give us the address of your home, business, or child's school and whenever severe weather threatens that address, you will get a call from Topper Shutt telling you about the threat and what to do to prepare. This is a subscription service that costs $9.95 year.
When you register, you provide us with a physical address for which you would like severe weather alerts. When a severe thunderstorm or tornado warning is issued and includes your specific address, we will telephone up to three telephone numbers you provide, alert you to the threatening weather, and tell you what you need to do.
Why should I sign up?
WUSA9 Warning MapThis was an actual tornado warning and you can see from the red zone exactly how specific our system is... WHICH MEANS PRECISION IN CALLING YOU WITH A WARNING. In other words, the technology you see here allows for accurate personal warnings and also prevents unnecessary OVER warning. We know you hate endless information about weather that isn't going to impact you, your home, your school or your business and that's what makes the WUSA 9 FIRST ALERT Weather Calls a superior subscription service.
The WUSA 9 FIRST ALERT meteorologists are ALWAYS watching the weather, even when you may be asleep or away from a TV. WUSA 9 FIRST ALERT Weather Call works because whenever severe weather threatens — no matter the hour we will alert you to the danger and give you specific safety instructions. And we alert only the people in the critical areas, so you won't bothered with weather alerts for areas far from your location. Tell your family, your friends, and your school about this innovative, personalized and potentially lifesaving new service! Get them to sign up too!
Weather Call @Home WORKS WITH ANY TYPE OF PHONE. Weather Call ToGo is available for iPhone or Android smart phone users.
Choose the type of service which is best for you:
- Monitors your home or business' permanent location.
- Tornado, and/or severe thunderstorm warning calls (flash flood warnings are done via email or SMS text notifications only).
- ANY type of phone can be called - land lines, basic cell phones, or smart phones.
- $9.95 annual subscription per address for up to 3 phone #'s.
- Sign up can be done online, by mail, or calling a toll free messaging service.
- "Follows" your smart phone's current location, capable of updating once every minute.
- Tornado, and/or severe thunderstorm, & flash flood warning notifications + "all clear" delivered by phone call and/or SMS text.
- $11.95 annual subscription per smart phone for NWS warnings. Optional LIGHTNING notification for within 6 miles, + "all clear" messages.
- $11.95 annual subscription per smart phone for lightning notifications.
- Bundle NWS warnings+lightning notification for $17.95 annual subscription.