Day one of the NFL Draft has come to an end. For NFL teams and die hard fans there are still six rounds and two days of picks to make, but there is no doubt the first round selections will grab most of the headlines. For Redskin fans the Draft really begins tomorrow. Here are the highlights of the first day on the NFL Draft.
Clowney goes number one: After a subpar year at South Carolina, where many pundits questioned his work ethic, Clowney was determined to prove that he really was worth the number one overall selection. The Houston Texans were reportedly shopping their number one pick, but realized that Clowney was the cut and dry best prospect in the draft and had no choice but to take him. The Texans now add Clowney to a defense that includes JJ Watt and Brian Cushing.
Manziel drops, ends up with Browns: The Twittershphere was ready to blow up when the Dallas Cowboys were on the clock and Johnny Manziel was still available at 16. For Manziel he would have to wait deep into the night to get picked by the Cleveland Browns with the 22nd pick, a team many thought would draft Manziel much early in the draft. Now the prolfic Josh Gordon has the unpredictable Johnny Football throwing him the football. The Cleveland Browns now have one of the most intriguing teams in the NFL, something you could not say a few hours ago.
Bortles is first QB off board, Bridgewater off last: Blake Bortles profile completed a meteoric rise from unknown commodity out of UCF to the first quarterback taken in the draft. The Jaguars have had a history of hit and missing on quarterbacks in the draft and haven't had a franchise quarterback since Mark Brunell (unless you count David Garrard). Bortles looks apart and could finally be the answer for a starving Jaguars franchise. Teddy Bridgewater, who was once considered the clear cut top QB prospect, almost fell out of the first round entirely. The Minnesota Vikings made a late trade to sneak and draft Bridgewater with the last pick of the first round.
First round selections:
1. Houston Texans: Jadeveon Clowney DE- South Carolina
2. St. Louis Rams (from Washington Redskns): Greg Robinson OT- Auburn
3. Jacksonville Jaguars: Blake Bortles QB- UCF
4. Buffalo Bills (traded with Cleveland Browns): Sammy Watkins WR- Clemson
5. Oakland Raiders: Khalil Mack OLB- Buffalo
6. Atlanta Falcons: Jake Matthews OT- Texas A&M
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Mike Evans WR- Texas A&M
8. Cleveland Browns (Traded with Minnesota Vikings): Justin Gilbert CB- Oklahoma St.
9. Minnesota Vikings (Traded with Cleveland Browns): Anthony Barr OLB- UCLA
10. Detroit Lions: Eric Ebron TE- North Carolina
11. Tennessee Titans: Taylor Lewan OT- Michigan
12. New York Giants: Odell Beckham Jr. WR- LSU
13. St. Louis Rams: Aaron Donald DT- Pittsburgh
14. Chicago Bears: Kyle Fuller CB- Virginia Tech
15. Pittsburgh Steelers: Ryan Shazier OLB- Ohio State
16. Dallas Cowboys: Zack Martin OT/G- Notre Dame
17.Baltimore Ravens: C.J. Mosley ILB- Alabama
18. New York Jets: Calvin Pryor S- Louisville
19. Miami Dolphins: Ja'waun James OT- Tennessee
20. New Orleans Saints (Traded with Arizona Cardinals): Brandin Cooks WR- Oregon State
21. Green Bay Packers: Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix S- Alabama
22. Cleveland Browns ( Traded with Philadelphia Eagles): Johnny Manziel QB- Texas A&M
23. Kansas City Chiefs: Dee Ford DE- Auburn
24. Cincinnati Bengals: Darqueze Dennard CB- Michigan State
25. San Diego Chargers: Jason Verrett CB- TCU
26. Philadelphia Eagles (Traded with Cleveland Browns): Marcus Smith DE- Louisville
27. Arizona Cardinals (Traded from New Orleans Saints): Deone Bucannon S- Washington State
28. Carolina Panthers: Kelvin Benjamin WR- Florida State
29. New England Patriots: Dominique Easley DE- Florida
30. San Francisco- Jimmie Ward S- Northern Illinois
31. Denver Broncos- Bradley Roby CB- Ohio State
32. Minnesota Vikings (Traded from Seattle Seahawks)- Teddy Bridgewater QB- Louisville