Last VideoNext Video BOB AND MAUREEN MCDONNELL IN COURTFormer Va. Gov. McDonnell appeals corruption conviction | 02:20
Former Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell returned to court to appeal his corruption conviction after a jury found him guilty of taking gifts and loans from a wealthy businessman in exchange for promoting the company's dietary supplements.
1 of 8
BOB AND MAUREEN MCDONNELL IN COURTMaureen McDonnell sentenced to 1 year, 1 day | 01:45
Maureen McDonnell, wife of former Virginia Governor Robert McDonnell, was sentenced to 12 months and a day in prison after being convicted on federal corruption charges.
2 of 8
BOB AND MAUREEN MCDONNELL IN COURTEx-Va. gov McDonnell sentenced to 2 years in prison | 01:39
Former Virginia governor Bob McDonnell will spend two years in federal prison after asking for mercy Tuesday at his own sentencing hearing on public corruption convictions.
3 of 8
BOB AND MAUREEN MCDONNELL IN COURTEx-Virginia governor found guilty of public corruption | 02:03
Ex-Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell was found guilty of 11 corruption charges. His wife Maureen was found guilty of 9 of 13 counts.
4 of 8
BOB AND MAUREEN MCDONNELL IN COURTEx. VA Gov. blames wife for controversial loans | 03:30
Former Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell is back on the stand in his own defense Friday, testifying about loans and stock at question in the federal corruption trial against him in his wife.
5 of 8
BOB AND MAUREEN MCDONNELL IN COURTCorruption trial for ex-Virginia governor, wife starts | 01:58
The federal corruption trial against former Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell and his wife Maureen is scheduled to begin Monday. This marks the first time in the state that a former governor criminally charged, will go to trial.
6 of 8
BOB AND MAUREEN MCDONNELL IN COURTEx-Virginia governor issued gag order by judge | 01:35
Bob McDonnell and his wife were given a gag order by a U.S. magistrate judge on Monday. The ex-Virginia governor was indicted on federal corruption charges on January 21.
7 of 8
BOB AND MAUREEN MCDONNELL IN COURTEx-Virginia governor, wife indicted on corruption | 01:17
Former Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell and his wife were indicted for allegedly accepting more than $165,000 worth of gifts from a dietary supplement company.
8 of 8
Former Va. Gov. McDonnell appeals corruption conviction
Maureen McDonnell sentenced to 1 year, 1 day
Ex-Va. gov McDonnell sentenced to 2 years in prison
Ex-Virginia governor found guilty of public corruption
Ex. VA Gov. blames wife for controversial loans
Corruption trial for ex-Virginia governor, wife starts
Ex-Virginia governor issued gag order by judge
Ex-Virginia governor, wife indicted on corruption
Prosecutors accused former Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell and his wife, Maureen, of accepting more than $165,000 in gifts and loans from wealthy businessman Jonnie Williams. The then-chief executive of Virginia-based public company Star Scientific was hoping for the governor's endorsement for and state research on one of his company's dietary supplements, Anatabloc, to help boost sales.
A federal grand jury indicted the couple, both 60 at the time of the trial, on 14 counts of corruption, accepting bribes and obstructing an investigation in January 2014, 10 days after Bob McDonnell left office.
At one time, McDonnell was considered a rising star in the national Republican Party. The former Virginia attorney general had been chairman of the Republican Governors Association and was being considered as Mitt Romney's running mate in the 2012 presidential election.
By the time jury selection began Aug. 28, 2014, for the McDonnells' trial in federal District Court in Richmond, Va., prosecutors gave Williams immunity in exchange for his testimony and the united front that Bob and Maureen McDonnell had been presenting in public was set aside. The McDonnells, married 38 years, had separate legal teams and came to the courthouse separately.
Bob McDonnell was the first Virginia governor to be tried for a crime and the first to be convicted Sept. 4, 2014.
He was sentenced Jan. 6, 2015, to two years in federal prison. And his wife, also convicted, was sentenced Feb. 20, 2015, to a year and a day in prison. Both are appealing their sentences.
• Aug. 20:Va. ex-gov must report to prison, court says
• Aug. 11: Va. ex-gov appealing convictions to Supreme Court
• July 24: Former Va. gov appeals corruption conviction again
• July 10: Former Va. gov's corruption conviction upheld
• May 12: Court hears former Va. gov's appeal in corruption case
• May 12: Firm entwined with Va. gov remade into drug developer
• March 2: Ex-first lady of Virginia appeals corruption convictions
• Feb. 20: Ex.-Va. first lady gets a year and a day for corruption
• Feb. 19: Former Virginia first lady Maureen McDonnell faces sentencing
• Jan. 26: Court allows ex-Va. gov McDonnell to be free for appeal
• Jan. 13: Ex-Va. gov. denied bond, ordered to report to prison Feb. 9
• Jan. 6: Ex-Va. gov sentenced to 2 years in prison for corruption
• Jan. 6: McDonnell to join infamous club of governors who've gone to prison
• Jan. 5: If prison's in cards for McDonnell, he'll likely go to camp
• Dec. 23: Convicted ex-Va. governor's lawyers push for no jail time
• Dec. 18: Ex-Va. gov's son arrested on drunk-driving charge
• Dec. 1: Former Virginia governor, wife will not get new trial
• Oct. 30: Ex-Va. gov wants new trial over jury issues
• Sept. 9: Poll: 68% of Virginia voters agree with McDonnell guilty verdict
• Sept. 4: Ex-Va. governor guilty of public corruption
• Sept. 4: Verdicts reached in trial of ex-Va. governor, wife
• Sept. 3: Jury in ex-Va. governor's case resumes deliberations
• Sept. 2: Ex-Va. governor's corruption case goes to the jury
• Aug. 29: Prosecutors finish closing arguments in McDonnell trial
• Aug. 28: Hardworking ex-Va. gov spent few nights away, FBI says
• Aug. 27: Defense rests in trial of former Virginia governor
• Aug. 26: Ex-Va. gov faces pointed queries about favors, timing
• Aug. 25: Wife made money requests for years, McDonnell said
• Aug. 23: Corruption trial gets juicier with ex-Va gov's testimony
• Aug. 22: Bob McDonnell said he broke no laws as Va. gov
• Aug. 21: Ex-Va. gov says he wasn't immune to wife's 'fiery anger'
• Aug. 21: Foreshadowing: Obama told McDonnell to thank his wife
• Aug. 20: Wife was not happy with political life, ex-Va. gov testifies
• Aug. 19: Ex-Va. gov's wife could be sweet, manipulative, in-law says
• Aug. 18: Staff worried Va. gov's wife was mentally ill, witness says
• Aug. 15: Judge denies motions from ex-Va. gov to dismiss case
• Aug. 14: Executive spent $36K on holiday weekend with Va. gov
• Aug. 13: McDonnells' credit card debt topped $90K, FBI agent says
• Aug. 12: Businessman had clout with ex-Va. gov, witness says
• Aug. 11: Did Va. gov cross line in allegiance to Anatabloc?
• Aug. 11: Company suspends Anatabloc, CigRx sales
• Aug. 8: Exec was wary of businessman's ties to Va. governor
• Aug. 8: 5 things to watch in Friday's McDonnell trial
• Aug. 7: 'Skeptical' Va. heath chief met with CEO at gov's request
• Aug. 7: 5 things to watch in Thursday's McDonnell trial
• Aug. 7: Our view: Gifts to Va. governor expose lax state laws
• Aug. 7: Opposing view: Virginia governor has complied with law
• Aug. 6: McDonnells were still in love, not estranged, witness says
• Aug. 6: 5 things to watch in Wednesday's McDonnell trial
• Aug. 5: McDonnells were deaf to 'optics,' former counselor says
• Aug. 5: 5 other governors on trial
• Aug. 5: 5 things to watch in Tuesday's McDonnell trial
• Aug. 4: Ex-Va. gov's broken marriage is surprise to star witness
• Aug. 4: 5 things to watch in Monday's McDonnell trial
• Aug. 1: 'The governor could be in trouble,' star witness says
• Aug. 1: 5 things to watch in Friday's McDonnell trial
• July 31: Witness against ex-Va. gov put foot down at Range Rover request
• July 31: 5 things to watch in Thursday's McDonnell trial
• July 30: Key witness takes stand in ex-Virginia gov's trial
• July 30: 10 gifts the U.S. wants ex-Va. gov, wife to forfeit
• July 30: 5 things to watch in Wednesday's McDonnell trial
• July 29: CEO capitalized on Va. gov's 'broken' marriage, defense says
• July 29: 5 things you need to know about the McDonnell trial
• July 28: Former Virginia governor's corruption trial begins
• May 20: Judge denies motion to dismiss McDonnell corruption charges
• April 28: Former Va. Gov. Bob McDonnell joins Liberty University
• April 22: Mitt Romney donates to Bob McDonnell's legal fund
• Jan. 24: Former Va. governor, wife plead not guilty
• Jan. 23: Polls find McDonnell approval rating still high
• Jan. 23: Our view: Bob McDonnell and the scandal of what's legal
• Jan. 23: Bob McDonnell: I'll fight these false allegations
• Jan. 22: Beyond McDonnell, 4 other political spouse scandals
• Jan. 21: Ex-Va. governor McDonnell: 'I did nothing illegal'
• Jan. 13: Va. Gov. McAuliffe gets pranked by his predecessor
• Nov. 7: CEO of firm in Va. governor's scandal to resign
• Oct. 18: Storm, scandal send Christie, McDonnell on different paths
• July 30: Va. Gov. McDonnell to return all gifts to donor
• July 23: Va. Gov. McDonnell sorry for 'embarrassment' to state
• July 17: Scandal clouds Virginia governor's race
• July 10: Va. governor cancels on small business hearing
• March 5: McDonnell not invited to speak at conservative event
• May 1: Va. Gov. McDonnell to campaign with Romney
• Feb. 22: Va. gov withdraws support from invasive pre-abortion procedure
• Nov. 3: Republican McDonnell takes Va. governorship
• Nov. 3: Va. elects McDonnell as gov, AP says
Read or Share this story: http://usat.ly/1ngiuEz