848 16 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A 3-year-old Lancaster boy has died after suffering heatstroke, according to Carolinas Medical Center.

Logan Cox died Sunday, four days after he had a heatstroke when he was stuck in the family car on the hottest day of the year last week.

His death comes as a shock to family members who told us on Friday that they expected him to be out of the hospital by Monday.

At their Lancaster home, Logan's mother and grandparents said they weren't ready to speak on camera, but his grandfather, Jimmy Clevinger did talk with us last Thursday.

"I know it was an accident," Clevinger said. "My daughter was laying on the couch with him watching TV and my wife was in the bedroom."

Investigators with the Lancaster County Sheriff's Office say Logan left the home without his mother knowing it, got into the car with the family's dog and somehow got trapped inside.

Just before 4 p.m. Sunday, Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte said Logan had passed away. Last week, Clevinger told NBC Charlotte Logan hadn't been in the hot car for long when the family found him.

"Anywhere from 15, 15 to 20 minutes, if that," Clevinger said.

In brutally hot temperatures with the doors closed and the windows up, the damage was done. His mother and grandmother were in tears at the house on Sunday.

The Lancaster County Sheriff's Office had no comment Sunday night. The Sheriff and DSS are still investigating.

848 16 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://on.wusa9.com/1m8t1pr