WHEATON, Md. (WUSA9) -- Early Friday morning, a jury found a man guilty of attempted second-degree murder and first-degree assault in for stabbing a victim more than a dozen times in Wheaton, Md.

Jurors returned to the courtroom with their verdict at 1:30 a.m., according to officials. They found Devante McNeil guilty of stabbing another man multiple times on April 16, 2013.

Police were originally called to the scene in the area of Georgia Avenue and Reedie Drive that night for the report of a possible pedestrian struck but once they arrived, the victim told them he had been stabbed multiple times, not struck by a car. According to charging documents, the victim was stabbed in the bathroom of an apartment building lobby by McNeil.

According to charging documents, McNeil and the victim had a mutual female friend. Earlier in the day, McNeil had told her at her apartment that he was angry with the victim and wanted to fight him. He left but ran into her again at some point. When he left a second time, documents indicated that she received text messages from the victim asking if he she wanted him to come by her place. She agreed.

They met in the lobby and talked for a while until the victim said he wasn't feeling well, according to documents. They went into the bathroom off of the lobby and while there, there was a knock on the door. The victim opened the door and was punched in the face, reported the female friend. Then McNeil stabbed him repeatedly before the victim was able to take the knife away.

According to charging documents, surveillance video captured both McNeil and the victim both fleeing from the building. The victim stumbled outside after the stabbing and people passing by, including a nurse, came to his aid and called 911. The man was rushed to a local trauma center where he survived. Hospital staff stated that he suffered 12 or 13 wounds to the neck, face, back, torso, back of head, sternum, arms and shoulders.

Authorities say a good Samaritan who was a nurse treated him until paramedics came which saved his life.

Police who arrived at the scene found a knife along the path he traveled when he fled, according to charging documents.

McNeil faces up to 30 years in prison. His sentencing date is set for July 2.

Read or Share this story: