SILVER SPRING, Md. (WUSA9) -- Captain Oscar Garcia with Montgomery County Fire and Rescue says hazmat units and Washington Gas were called to the area of 11500 and 11600 Lockwood Drive. He says the leak was reported shortly before 12:30 p.m.
People were moved away from the building, says Garcia.
Once on scene, Washington Gas crews were able to shut off the gas shortly before 1:00 p.m.
This happened due to a gas meter that had been damaged because of a gutter that had damaged the gas meter and created a gas leak to the rear of building 11598, officials said.
Montgomery County police say all of Lockwood Drive between New Hampshire Avenue and July Drive was closed to vehicle and pedestrian traffic.