1 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

RESTON, Va. (WUSA9) -- Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department officials say a male and his dog escaped from a fire at a townhouse in Reston on Sunday afternoon.

Officials tell us that firefighters responded to a townhouse fire at approximately 2:30 p.m. in the 1200 block of Vintage Place. They found smoke coming from three sides of the end unit, and fire in the basement.

The fire was brought under control in approximately 20 minutes, say officials.

There was extensive damage in the basement, laundry room, and to the ceiling and flooring above. In the end, there was an estimated $150,000 worth of damage.

According to officials, a smoke alarm alerted the only person inside who escaped unharmed with his dog. Two occupants have been displaced and are being helped by the Red Cross.

According to fire investigators, the fire started in the basement laundry room but they are unsure what exactly sparked the fire.

Read or Share this story: http://on.wusa9.com/1is2qiq