POTOMAC, Md. (WUSA9) -- Authorities said a house caught on fire after being struck by lighting Wednesday afternoon in Potomac, Md.

According to Montgomery County Fire and Rescue, the fire started in the attic and roof area of a house located at 10611 Farmbrooke Lane, in Potomac.

Occupants of the home saw smoke and contacted the police. A family of five has been displaced, according to authorities.

Authorities said the family and pets got out of the house safely and no injuries have been reported.

Rescue crews were able to knock out the bulk of the fire.

We will update you as more information comes in.

Read or Share this story: