JARRETTSVILLE, Md. (WUSA9) -- A house fire that raged on for more than an hour was sparked by a bucket of ashes, say officials with the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office.
The fire was reported at 7:41 a.m. in the 3800 block of Federal Hill Road in Jarrettsville, say officials. A smoke alarm sounded and alerted the family inside the home to the fire.
The fire, which started in a bucket of discarded ashes that ignited the back of the home, extended into the roof of the home, according to officials.
Fire crews from Jarrettsville, Fallston, Whiteford, Bel Air, Balto County Jacksonville, Hereford, Pa., Fawn Grove and Delta-Cardiff all responded to the fire, according to officials. The 80 firefighters took about 90 minutes to control the fire.
The fire resulted in approximately $375,000 of damage in total, say officials.