NEW CARROLLTON, Md. (WUSA9) -- Forty-one rabbits need a new home after surviving a house fire in Prince George's County.
The fire happened in the basement of a single family home in the 6600 block of Adrian Street. A resident said he was taking an afternoon nap when he woke up to the smoke and called 911, according to Prince George's County fire officials.
Fire investigators say they believe a burning log shifted in the fireplace and fell out, igniting nearby combustibles. The home did not have a working smoke alarm.
Firefighters extinguished the fire and and found numerous pets, including 41 rabbits which are now without a home.
One Animal Management official stated, "Rabbits galore! We've just received a huge delivery of bunny rabbits that need homes. We're discounting their adoptions to $30 each, which includes spay/neuter. Consider this fur-ever pet as an alternative to a cat or dog, but please be aware that they need a commitment from you for their lifetime, not just a trendy thing to get the kids for Easter."
The homeowner escaped from the house prior to the fire departments arrival and sought shelter at a neighbor's house. He is displaced and was assisted by the County Citizen Services Unit with temporary shelter.
Fire loss was estimated at $20,000.
For additional information on how to adopt one of these rabbits call the Animal Shelter at 301-780-7201.