498 54 2 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

WASHINGTON (WUSA9) -- Three people were transported to a hospital after a fire at a Howard University dorm early Wednesday morning.

According to D.C. police officials, the call came in at approximately 12:31 a.m. regarding a fire in a room on the 4th floor of 2601 16th St., which is Meridian Hill Hall.

We're told two students and a security guard suffered smoke inhalation. Police say they were conscious and transported to a local hospital.

The nine-story building was evacuated until the scene was cleared. Everyone was allowed back inside and road closures were lifted at approximately 3:15 a.m.

Interim University President Wayne Frederick sent the following note to the Howard community:

"Dear Howard University Community:

Inan effort to keep you abreast of our response to the fire incident at Meridian Hill Residence Hall, I am providing you with another update on our progress.
• The initial air quality assessments were conducted throughout the entire residence hall and the tests for contaminants (including carbon monoxide) were negative.
• While the fire was contained to a single room, experts inspected all eight floors of the building and concluded that the infrastructure is safe. Additional tests and expedited remediation are currently underway.
• All students on the fourth floor and other impacted residents have been relocated to other halls on the main campus. The University will provide dining services for these students for the remainder of the semester.
• Staff members are conducting a door-to-door evaluation for follow-up outreach to students. Students can also receive an evaluation at the Response Center located on the first floor. All residents are required to be evaluated.
• We are providing 24-hour medical and counseling services for students who experience any residual effects following the incident.

Finally,we would like to commend the quick response of our staff and students. Werecognize this was a troubling incident and we will do all we can to ensurethat we make students comfortable and restore normalcy to our living andlearning community. We thank the Emergency Response Team for their ongoingefforts.

Sincerely,

Wayne A.I. Frederick
Interim President"

498 54 2 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://on.wusa9.com/1fZpdDV