19 39 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

WASHINGTON (WUSA9) -- Search operations for a missing 8-year-old girl in a Washington park are beginning to "wind down," police said.

Metropolitan Police Department Chief Cathy Lanier said there were no new developments Tuesday afternoon in the search for Relisha Rudd.

At a press conference, police said, "We have not, during the course of our search so far today, uncover anything that leads us closer to finding Relisha." Police found Kahlil Tatum, Rudd's alleged abductor, dead of an apparent suicide Monday in Kenilworth Park. Tatum's body had been in the park for at least 36 hours, but it's possible it had been there for several days, Lanier said.

The FBI and Metropolitan Police said they continue to search for Relisha Rudd.

In a joint effort between police and more than 200 community volunteers, the six day search for Rudd in the park has yielded no evidence of the girl, Lanier said, adding that nothing was found near Tatum's body that could indicate where Rudd may be.

Police remain hopeful that they may find Rudd alive.

"We don't know that she's been killed... We know she has not been seen since March 1. That's what gives us the gravest concern," Lanier said.

Tatum, 51, was found dead Monday afternoon in a storage building at Kenilworth Park, Bruce Leshan reported. Police say he sustained an apparent gunshot wound.

Tatum was wanted for the murder of his wife in a Prince George's County hotel.

Autoplay
Show Thumbnails
Show Captions

19 39 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://on.wusa9.com/1fLFfxu