8 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

WALDORF, Md. (WUSA9) -- A still burning cigarette that was tossed into a flower bed outside a home caused the fire that burned it to the ground Friday morning in Charles County.

A firefighter and a resident were injured after the early morning fire in Waldorf, says Charles County Fire Chief Jeff Duer. They were treated and released on scene.

Firefighters responded to the 12000 block of Indian Lane at approximately 2:58 a.m., says Capt. Ronnie Burns from Station 12 of Charles County Fire. According to Burns, the fire had worked its way from the first floor up the front of the home. Fire also spread into the basement and attic.

Firefighters battled the blaze from the inside until they were forced to fight the fire from the outside.

Duer says that 90 percent of the building was damaged. According to Burns, most of the damage was primarily in the front of the home.

Three people have been displaced, says Burns. Duer tells us the Red Cross is assisting those residents.

Officials have ruled the fire to be accidental and say it cost $200,000 in damages.

Read or Share this story: http://on.wusa9.com/1bRkOTj