53 9 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

BOWIE, Md. (WUSA9) -- Prince George's County Fire Department rescued two dogs, Mylo and Otis from a Bowie house fire that happened in October 2013.

Authorities said both dogs were lifeless when they were rescued, however were successfully resuscitated by deputies using donated pet oxygen masks.

One dog died and the other survived. However this incident motivated the fire department to do something to prevent tragedies like this one from happening in the future.

According to authorities, after the two dogs were returned to their owners, the family did not have enough money to get the vet care their pets needed. Authorities made a joint effort to try and help this family out and find a vet that could provide care to the dogs that had small burns and were suffering from smoke inhalation.

Deputies said if vet care had been done earlier, both dogs would have probably had a chance of surviving.

The Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department and the SPCA of Anne Arundel County created the PGFD and SPCA Sparky Fire Fund.

This fund will help families in similar situations to go to select 24-hour veterinarians and get care for their pets right away.

If a pet has injuries from a fire and the family cannot provide care for it then the Spark Fire Fund will ensure care is initiated and payment is guaranteed to the vet.

The Sparky Fire Fund needs the community's support in order to make this program a success. The community's generous donations will give immediate veterinary care for pets affected by house fires in Prince George's County.

Donations may be made on-line by clicking here. Please be sure to indicate that your donation is for the PGFD SPCA Sparky Fire Fund.

53 9 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://on.wusa9.com/RbauMQ