WASHINGTON (WUSA9) -- Here are five things you need to know on Wednesday, March 5.
5. A threatening message was found written on a stairwell at the Montgomery College Rockville campus, officials said. The message read, "school shooting 3/5/14." Due to the nature of the graffiti, there will be an increase in police presence on the campus, school officials said.
4. The D.C. Council has passed a bill that will decriminalize marijuana in the city. Mayor Vincent Gray said he would sign the bill, Bruce Johnson reports. Possession of less than one ounce of marijuana would no longer be a criminal offense.
3. The Maryland House of Delegates is scheduled to take up a bill to increase the state's minimum wage.The House is set to consider changes to the measure on Wednesday. It would boost the minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to $10.10 an hour by 2017.
2. The National Zoo's African lion Shera gave birth to four healthy cubs on Sunday, Zoo officials said.This is the second litter of cubs for 9-year-old Shera who delivered them in a seven-hour period from 8:27 a.m. to 3:17 p.m.
1. We hope your Fat Tuesday was gluttonous. Today is Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent in the Western Christian calendar, and the beginning of 40 days of prayer and fasting.
BONUS: We are tracking a coastal storm which could give the Metro Area some rain Friday night into Saturday morning. We'll have some tranquil weather today with sunshine and highs above 40º for most. See the full forecast.