8 8 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

PRINCE GEORGE COUNTY, Md. (WUSA9) -- A volunteer firefighter that sustained burns while battling a house fire over two weeks ago in Colmar Manor, has been readmitted to the Burn Unit.

Prince George's County Fire said Benjamin "Ben" Eddowes, a 24-year-old volunteer member of the Bladensburg Fire/EMS Station #809 had burn injuries to both ears and his leg on January 31, 2014.

He got injured while he was at a house fire in the 3400 block of 40th Place, authorities said.

Eddowes was transported to the Burn Unit at Medstar Washington Hospital Center, where he stay overnight and was let go the next day, authorities said.

The chief of Prince George's County Fire, Marc S. Bashoor saw Eddowes on Saturday. Bashoor said, "Burn injuries are prone to infection and unfortunately this type of setback occurs, however, he is in the best of care. There is a contingent of fellow firefighters with him at all times including members of the DC Firefighters Burn Foundation."

Bladensburg Volunteer Chief Randy Kuenzli added, "Last week he was readmitted when his burn injuries on his leg became infected. The ears are fine but the leg got infected. When they went in to deal with the infection they discovered that it was a 3rd degree burn and that the infection went into the calf muscle of his leg."

Eddowes is doing well and being treated for the infection, authorities said. If all goes well Eddowes will have surgery, involving a skin graft, which will happen Wednesday, authorities added.

He will be in the hospital for at least five days after the surgery, the fire department said.

Eddowes is accepting visitors. He is staying in Room 3 E 34 at the Burn Unit. You can also see his Facebook page by clicking here. You can send him an e-mail at bte5@zips.uakron.edu.

8 8 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://on.wusa9.com/1biO3hz