SUITLAND, Md. (WUSA) -- In a tragic incident, a six-year-old child died today after becoming entangled in curtain cords attached to window coverings, police said.

Paramedics responded to the home around 12:30 p.m. That's when they found the child unconscious. CPR was performed on the six-year-old child and she was quickly taken to the hospital. But, she succumbed to her injuries soon after she arrived at the hospital.

Officials say strangulation by window covering strings and cords is typically seen in children aged 5 and under.

The Prince Georges County Safe Kids in conjunction with Safe Kids Worldwide recommends the following tips:

• Keep cords and strings, including those attached to window blinds, out of your child's reach. Move all cribs, beds, furniture and toys away from windows and window cords.

• If you live in an apartment building or home where you are not allowed to replace your window coverings, follow basic window cord safety rules and order free retrofit kits from the Window Covering Safety Council at

Read or Share this story: