WASHINGTON (WUSA9) -- Here are five things you need to know on Friday, January 17.
1. President Obama is expected to give a speech on government surveillance Friday. A senior administration official says the president will call for stripping the NSA's ability to store phone data from millions of Americans.
MORE: President Obama on NSA
2. Gun rights activist Adam Kokesh will be sentenced Friday after pleading guilty to drug and weapons charges.
MORE: Adam Kokesh arrest
3. Virginia alcohol regulators are giving bars and restaurants more freedom to promote happy hour. The changes will allow establishments more latitude to market their drink specials.
4. Police are looking for a vehicle that struck and killed a student near the University of Maryland campus in College Park early Friday morning.
5. Happy 50th Birthday, Michelle Obama! The first lady turns 50 on Friday, January 17.
PHOTOS: Happy Birthday, Michelle Obama!