Nice Again on Sunday with highs near 50, but snow is possible Monday night and into Tuesday. This is not going to be anything like the Blizzard of 2016 but it could impact Tuesday AM travel.
WASHINGTON (WUSA9) --- We now turn our attention to a clipper that could bring us some accumulating snow Monday night into Tuesday and some wintry mix of rain & snow south and east of Town. This is a system from the north so it has limited moisture. At the onset of the precipitation Monday evening surface temperatures will be above freezing. so the commute home Monday will be fine with just wet roads. We are more concerned with the commute Tuesday morning from this system with surface temperatures by then at or below freezing with light snow falling. Tuesday is a Yellow Weather Alert day. A general trace to 3" is possible by Tuesday night. Lesser amounts south and east of Town due to warmer air and more rain to 1" - 2" inside the Beltway, mainly on grassy surfaces to 3" well north and west of Town. Behind the front, temperatures will be rather cold and well below average through next weekend. From Wednesday on, most of us will not reach the freezing mark for several days. Clippers usually leave arctic air in their wake and this will be no exception. The arctic air late in the week will be some of the coldest air we have seen all year.
Here's what we know about the Clipper headed our way Monday - Tuesday:
1) Monday evening commute ok, some wet roads, Temps >32
2) Critical time: Midnight - 10 AM Tuesday
3) Temps closer to 32 degrees Tuesday AM
4) Most concerned about the Tuesday AM commute, some slick roads north and west of town with temps around freezing
5) Clippers have limited moisture. This can't be a 'big storm' but it could have a big impact on our commute Tuesday morning
6) Arctic air will pour into the Metro Area in the wake of the Clipper.
LOW TEMPS: 28 - 36
WINDS: E - 10
Mostly Cloudy & Chilly with
Mainly a late PM Rain or Snow Shower possible
HIGH TEMPS: 40 - 45
WINDS: SE - 10
Mostly Cloudy & Cold with
Light Snow or Snow Showers ( Trace - 3")
HIGH TEMPS: 34 - 39
WINDS: WNW - 10