2 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

SPRINGFIELD, Va. (WUSA9) -- A woman managed to escape a fire unharmed at a townhouse in Springfield on Thursday evening, according to Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department officials.

Smoke was coming from the front of the townhouse in the 6400 block of Wainfleet Court at approximately 6:05 p.m., say fire officials. Firefighters were able to quickly bring the fire under control, however, four dogs died in the fire.

Before contacting authorities, the woman went inside of her home and tried to save the dogs.

Officials say one person has been displaced as a result of the fire.

Fire investigators say the fire was accidental and was sparked by a small appliance in the kitchen.

The fire left an estimated $50,000 worth of damage.

Read or Share this story: http://on.wusa9.com/1ppYZjK