LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

LA PLATA, Md. (WUSA9) --A barn fire in Charles County on Thursday was caused by an electrical malfunction, according to fire investigators.

The La Plata, Bel Alton, Benedict, Bryans Road, Hughesville, Newburg, Potomac Heights, Waldorf Volunteer Fire Departments responded to the fire at 11675 Englewood Drive in La Plata, Md.

Fire investigators determined that the fire was accidental and was the result of an electrical malfunction within the electrical and tack room inside the barn.

Some horses and chickens in the barn were not harmed.

The blaze caused $20,000 to the structure and $5,000 to the contents.

Read or Share this story: http://on.wusa9.com/1ePqBFY