LAUREL, Md. (AP) - Anne Arundel County fire officials say more than 250 people were evacuated from a Wal-Mart in Laurel because of a carbon monoxide leak.
The fire department says firefighters got an unrelated call about an injured employee Sunday morning when they detected elevated levels of carbon monoxide. All customers and employees were escorted out of the store. Employees were allowed to re-enter about 2 hours later.
The department says a malfunctioning heating unit caused the leak. Several units and the gas supply to them were shut off, and the building was ventilated until the CO levels went down.
No one was believed to have been harmed by the CO leak. The injured employee was taken to a hospital.
CO is an odorless, colorless gas that can be fatal in high concentrations.