WASHINGTON (USA Today) -- Aaron Alexis had a history with guns.
The 34-year-old Navy reservist, the suspect in a shooting rampage at the Navy Yard that left 13 dead, including himself, was arrested in 2004 while he lived in Seattle. He was charged following an incident where he shot out the tires of another man's car after a confrontation. Police documents obtained by WUSA9 show Alexis told police it happened during a black-out fueled by rage. He was never prosecuted.
In 2010 he arrested againfor firing a gun through the ceiling of his apartment in Fort Worth, Texas, according to a police report. He said it had been an accident.
Alexis enlisted in the Navy in 2007 and was an aviation electrician's mate 3rd Class in 2009. He served with the Fleet Logistics Support Squadron in Fort Worth from February 2008 to January 2011.
Alexis lived most recently in New York City, the Navy said, and had relatives in Georgia and Seattle, Wash., according to public reports. He last voted in Queens, N.Y., in 2000.
The Forth Worth Star-Telegram located a self-described "best friend" of Alexis' Monday who expressed surprise at the news and said Alexis had been working for a computer contractor.
"He lived with me three years," Nutpisit Suthamtewakul, owner of Happy Bowl Thai, told the newspaper. "I don't think he'd do this. He has a gun. but I don't think he's that stupid. He didn't seem aggressive to me."
A short LinkedIn profile of Alexis said he attended Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and worked as a network technician at SinglePoint Technologies.
Valerie Parlave, chief of the FBI's D.C. field division, appealed for the public's help to assist in providing information about the shooter's actions and movements prior to the attack. The FBI posted the dead shooter's photographs on its website.
Contributing: Rick Jervis in Austin, Texas; and Kevin Johnson and Peter Eisler in Washington, D.C.