WASHINGTON(WUSA9) -- Wednesday,a D.C. man was sentenced to 40 years in prison in the death of 16-year-old Prince Okorie, who was a student at Roosevelt High School.

Twenty-three-year-old Raymond Roseboro was sentenced for first-degree premeditated murder while armed and related weapons charges, says U.S. Attorney Ronald C. Machen Jr. After Roseboro completes his prison term, he will be placed on five years of supervised release.

Roseboro was found guilty in February 2013 in his third trial in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia. Two previous trials, in March and September of 2012, resulted in hung juries. The government presented additional evidence at the third trial.

According to the government's evidence, the homicide occurred just before 4:25 p.m. on Nov. 30, 2010, near the intersection of Delafield Place and 8th Street NW, near the Sherman Circle area. School had let out and Okorie and other teenagers were standing on a porch when Roseboro and Roseboro's girlfriend walked by, heading towards Roseboro's home. Okorie and some of his friends left that porch and headed toward another home near the intersection of 7th and Emerson Streets NW.

Roseboro then came over and asked Okorie to walk to the store with him, according to the evidence. Two other Okorie's friends joined them.One of the teensbriefly spoke with a parent. That parent later recognized Roseboro's face, and selected him from a photo array, according to officials.

When the young men turned onto Delafield Place, shotswere fired.One friendsaw Okorie falling and ran. Another friend saw Okorie lying on the ground and when he looked uphe saw Roseborostanding near Okorie with a gun in his hand and a "mean 'mug' on his face," according to officials. This friend also ran away, north on 8th Street, and heardmore shots.

According to the evidence, an adult across the street looked over after the first shot and saw Okorie lying on the ground. The adult also saw someone standing over Okorie, firing with a gun. The adult didn't recognize the shooter, but noticed hehadshort twists or dreads. The adult also saw the shooterrun into an alley and was certain that the shooter had been with the group.

Officials say Roseboro was the only one in the group with the hairstyle described by the adult. Also, the direction of the alley that the shooter was seen running into pointed towards Roseboro's home, which was a short walk from the scene. Autopsy evidence revealed that the shooting was at close range, which was consistent with witness accounts, say officials. Firearms evidence was also consistent with the witness accounts that there was one shooter.

The government also presented evidence that Roseboro was seenshortly after the murder at his home at a meeting with a job counselor. He was reportedly calm and relaxed.

Roseboro testified that he had walked home after school with his girlfriend and was with her at his home until the job counselor arrived. Some relatives also testified that he stayed at home with his girlfriend during this time period.

Roseboro also denied knowing the faces of Okorie's friends or hanging out near the porch where Okorie and his friends were before the shooter walked up and asked Okorie to walk with him.

Roseboro did acknowledge that the murder scene was afew minutesaway from his home, say officials.

At this trial, thegovernment presented rebuttal witnesses. The first testified that Roseboro, Okorie and Okorie's friends knew one another and were all friends. The witness also testified that Roseborowas hanging out with the others near 7th and Emerson Streets before Okorie's murder.

The second witness was Roseboro's girlfriend at the time of the murder. Her testimony conflicted with that of Roseboro and his relatives. Her account and Roseboro's cellphone recordsrefuted his claims thathe was with her on the living room couch, and being watched by his mother at the time of the murder, say officials.

Read or Share this story: