34 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

LANHAM HILLS, Md. (WUSA) -- Fire crews responded to the scene of a two-alarm fire around 1 p.m. on Monday in the 5300 block of 85th Avenue in Lanham Hills, Md.

Fifty firefighters needed 30 minutes to extinguish the worst of the fire, which extended along the two top floors and attic area of a four-story garden-style apartment complex, according to a Prince George's County Fire Dept. spokesman. Fire crews were able to prevent the fire from spreading to an adjoining apartment building. The fire went to three alarms.

All residents were safely evacuated before the fire crews arrived. Two firefighters suffered minor burn injuries and were treated at the Burn Unit at Medstar Washington Hospital Center.

At least 11 apartments will be uninhabitable from damage.

According to a spokesman for the Prince George's County Fire/EMS Dept, the fire been ruled "accidental" and is attributed to a malfunctioning natural gas stove. The loss is estimated at $750,000.

Read or Share this story: http://on.wusa9.com/1dUAWzD